The present document can't read!
Please download to view
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
Visual help for lecture on Ford presidency.
2. Born Leslie Lynch King, Jr. on July 15, 1913 in Omaha, Nebraska Mother and he moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan shortly after birth Attended the University of Michigan, playing on the football team Yale Law School…and assistant football and boxing coach 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. Domestic Matters Now, therefore, I, Gerald R. Ford, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from July (January) 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974. 8. Partial amnesty to Vietnam draft evaders: two years of community service 9. Pardon of Richard Nixon Results? Approval rating: 72% to 49% “Jail Ford” Perhaps cost him the 1976 election Why? Healing could begin 25%A deal? Sympathy 10. 11. Lynnette “Squeaky” Fromme; September 5, 1977 12. Sara Jane Moore; September 22, 1977 13. 14. 15. INFLATION Non-Stop Inflation Merry-Go-Round No Immediate Miracles Whip Inflation Now Grassroots program designed to combat inflation by encouraging personal saving and disciplined spending 16. Yes: 300 No: 135 No = VETO Yes: 55 No: 45 House of Representatives Senate The President FORD: FREQUENT USE OF THE VETO—66 TIMES IN 29 MONTH PRESIDENCY 17. 18. FOREIGN AFFAIRS 19. 20. 21. US-Soviet relations under Ford
- Finalizes World War II borders
- Soviets would agree to improve human rights (did not)
- TheHo Chi Minh Offensiveoccurs during Ford’s presidency
- North Vietnam attacks South Vietnam to make it communist
- Ford asks for $722 million in aid; Congress refuses
24. 25. OPERATION FREQUENT WIND IN ACTION 26. 27. 28.
- Operation Frequent Windoccurs as a result of the offensive
- What ? Capture of the USS Mayaguez (39 Americans are held)
- Where?Off the coast of Cambodia
29. 30. 31. 32. CARTER WINS 1976 ELECTION 33.
- Ford’s response? Military rescue; 41 killed as 39 were being released
- Reagan challenges Ford in the primary
- Unpopular decision to pardon Nixon